What's new
Digital Marketers Forum

Digital Marketers Forum is a forum and marketplace for digital marketing news, topics, and services. Our resources help users earn money online with current methods and actionable strategies that make more traffic, higher rankings, and online success easier to achieve.

How do you handle currency conversion fees without losing international buyers?

GidrenSully

New member
Joined
Jul 25, 2026
Messages
22
Reaction score
11
I started getting traffic from outside my home country, but my payment gateway charges steep conversion fees. Do you show prices in local currencies at checkout, or just charge a flat base currency and let the buyer's bank sort it out?
 
In my opinion, the problem of currency conversion fees should be addressed primarily by being transparent about the specifics of the transaction. After all, the buyer will always be willing to pay a little more if the explanation is straightforward enough. It would also be helpful to offer the customer an opportunity to pay in his local currency to simplify the process of international payment and reduce the fear of hidden fees.
 
I’d probably show the prices in local currencies if the payment gateway supports it. I think it makes things easier for international buyers since they already know what they’re paying. The fees can be annoying though, so I’d also compare different payment gateways and see which one has better conversion rates. It wouldn't hurt to try.
 
I’d probably keep the base currency but show the estimated amount in their currency before they check out. At least they’ll have an idea of what they’re paying, and being clear about any extra conversion fees can help avoid surprises later.
 
Top